Unity ceremonies involving sand, candles, cord braiding and other traditions are all symbolic of the same thing: bringing two families together in an inseparable way. The usual ideas get tired out, and couples like to come up with their own way of showcasing this union in a tangible way.
A brilliant and simple way to do this is by swapping out your traditional sand ceremony container with an hourglass. While traditional containers for sand ceremonies make beautiful shelf décor, the hourglass concept is a gorgeous and useful keepsake. This is the first symbol of your union. Picking two complementary colors will make the event even more magical and having this unique spin on an age-old tradition will keep your wedding one to remember!
What You Need:
- Empty hourglass available HERE
- Sand -two different colors, amount depends on hourglass size
- Funnel (optional)
- The hourglass should come with instructions as to how much sand it needs to work properly. Divide that amount in half. Put that much sand of one color in one glass. The same amount of sand of the other color should be placed in the second glass. If you are not planning to use the hourglass to measure time, the amount of sand doesn’t matter. Use as much as you would like.
- Keep the empty hourglass on a table close to the where you and the officiant will be standing but out of the way so that it isn’t in danger of being knocked over and isn’t awkwardly hanging out in pictures.
- When it is time for the hourglass ceremony, you will each grab your glass, and on the officiant’s cue, pour the sand in together.
- Close the hourglass, and display it in your new home!